Saturday, June 20, 2020

Dispelling Street Myths

I think it is reasonable that a racial minority individual representing less than 6% of a community population of  20, 000 people just might be subjected to a defeatist, 'what's the use,' attitude. An attitude supported by some real events from the past and mythical unsubstantiated beliefs whispered over the fence and perpetuated by crutch-passing-out street talk.

Regardless of race, ethnicity or religious beliefs, adults are wise to warn their children/young people about cultural and social realities. However, often times those warnings are distorted over time because of the embellishment of  unsubstantiated beliefs. Let me share two examples, which came to light during my Jacksonville coaching tenure: A young adult Black man who had played basketball years before at Jacksonville high school became comfortable with our friendship and one day surprise me with a question. "Coach, he asked, I'm going to ask you a question and I hope it doesn't offend you. Do some White parents offer Jacksonville coaches money or perks to play their son?" Pause and consider the fact that this notion of 'pay-to-play' from White parents had to be a street perpetuated message yet how the hell can one automatically dismiss it as never happening. I don't know the real  history of any school's coaching-parent relationships. And furthermore just the social closeness parents and coaches might have certainly could present a picture of suspicion. On a personal note this is the very reason I refused house  party invitations during the basketball season except from my  coaching staff members, administrators or the team support professionals, i.e., medical personnel. Why? Because I am everybody's coach in a community and I wanted not to give the impression that some people had greater access to me than others.

I can support my belief that Street talk can be a hurdle for a minority to negotiate with the following: Jamie Berkeley and Randall McGee were two Black players who were nurtured through our elementary program into the high school arena. They were traveling with me to a summer basketball event when Jamie said to Randall, "Doc, I'm gunna tell coach want we were talkin'' about earlier." Doc (Randall) said, "Go ahead, he should know." Then Jamie spoke, "Coach, as a Black boy growing up in Jacksonville it takes to about your junior year to find out that the White coach ain't  gunna do you wrong." A sad reality readers...a very sad reality. My response to Jamie and Randall,
"I wish everytime that statement was made to a young boy by an older person that the person making that claim had hard proof along with a playing background." I was glad to have this kind of input from my players because it helped me in future communications.

Let me dismiss an old coaching myth: 'I treat all my players the same.' No, I didn't! Make no mistake I had the SAME expectations and rules for all my players but I purposely got to know their individual background so I could better engage each player. I suppose conducting nearly 4,000 practices, I've taped over 10,000 ankles. Each time I had that taping moment with a player I asked questions; not basketball questions but inquiries about family; mother, father, siblings and grandparents. Those answers gave me insight and a blueprint for individual engagement. Not every family goes on vacations, own automobiles or live in big houses. Some households are in turmoil and I needed that information to better understand my guys and communicate with them.

As a faculty member, I was called out once by an assistant principal as the instructor who has not written a student referral in three years. I did not feel the need to defend my record because I was comfortable with my philosophy. Most student rules-offenders are borderline academic students and really don't want to be in school. Whether the student was White or Black if I caught them offending, I called their parent or guardian rather than write a referral, which would lead to a suspension. Sure, you take a chance that some parent will be defensive but I was loaded for that push-back...never happend. My approach, 'keep'em in school and make do right!'

My great good fortune in Jacksonville was the administration and the media. I envisioned from day one in Jacksonville to see four things become a school staple: 1) The establishment of a All Sport JHS Hall--of-Fame Induction, 2) A Hall-of-Fame Room at the JHS Bowl, 3) A West-Central Illinois All-Star Annual Basketball Charity Game and 4) A West Central Illinois Student-Athlete Scholar Awards Program. As I shared these ideas with administrators and enlisted the support of media all was accomplished and stand today as Annual staples. Each event brings folks together to celebrate our shared goodness. Talk about winning!

Ps. During my twenty-one year-tenure in  a community of approximately 6% Black, some 41% of Jacksonville varsity basketball teams was comprised of  Black players.

Next: Going to Decatur Like Going Home ..."Racism? Not Here! Yeah, Right!"



No comments:

Post a Comment