Tuesday, June 16, 2020

The Awakening

I suppose 'leaving' your youthful home to enter military service, pursue a college education or enter the work force is significant and transitional for any 18-something year old. Certainly, Illinois State University was an eye opening experience for a city boy whose family had zero experience with higher formal education. Make no mistake, I have admiration for white collar, blue collar and think-tanker pursants. Whatever our passion and whatever floats our boat makes the world a better place.

Regarding race relations, my ISU athletic experience (basketball/baseball) was not much different than high school. We had few Black athletes on 'Redbirds' teams during that period. I do recall one year when our basketball team declined to attend a Christmas Tournament in the South when we were told that our Black teammates could not eat or stay in the same places as White players. It was a no brainer.

It was a sociology course and particularly the introduction to the many studies conducted by American psychologist, Gordon Allport as presented in his book, 'The Nature of Prejudice,' which opened my eyes uncovering why no corner of the world was free of prejudices. Group identification and fears motivated peoples' suspicions, which developed attitudes of hatred supported by ever changing beliefs. Racial, ethnic and religious prejudices have always been mankind's greatest pandemic. The book was cited as a classic in 1965, ten years after its initial publication. It became one of the most influential and often cited writings about inter-group relations. On a personal note, I found much of what Allport reported and dispelled about prejudices to coincide nicely with the  teachings of Jesus-Christ, which was broadly and deeply embraced by my entire family and friends.  I remember   vividly sharing this new found knowledge with hometown friends and family. Much to  my disappointment many rebuked my offerings suggesting that I was becoming brain-washed by 'those' liberal professors. The moment was 'real' to me. I would embrace a mission from that day forward. A mission to reject the ignorance of prejudice and call it out. I did not know at that moment that one day as a high school basketball coach, I would also be cognizant to challenge my Black players to refuse crutches in their challenges. "Be smart and know that some want you to always view yourself as crippled by color, origin or religious beliefs," would become my sermon. More on that later.

The essence of Allport's book, 'The Nature of Prejudice' brought to light the manner in which an individual holds fast to learn attitudes of contempt. If one has a prejudicial attitude towards a group of people (racial/ethinic/religious) they will support that attitude with unproven beliefs. When the belief is disproven the individual with a prejudicial attitude will simply latch on to another unproven negative belief. (Don't confuse them with facts). The book to this day is viewed by social psychologist as defining the field of intergroup relationships regarding prejudice and its effects on group interactions.

As I recall the many expressed opinions of whites from my youth it is noteworthy that a prejudice individual might point toward a black man as being "lazy" but then in the next breath express a negative attitude towards an industrious and upward mobile black man as being "uppity" and not "knowing his place."
Blacks were in that stereotypical conundrum...you know the one..."Between a rock and hard place."

Next...Those negative 'racial' attitudes will need to be addressed by most coaches.



No comments:

Post a Comment