Thursday, August 9, 2012

Shuffleboard Promiseland

I have documentation that life is 'good' for we American senior citizens; I read that headline on the front page of the USA Today newspaper! Daily tracking of the Nation's economic woes, unemployment figures, limited investment returns and stock market volatility continue to signal 'doom' except for me and my 'old-timer' friends. Although, I was not one of the 2,250 geriatric-gents surveyed, which yielded these conclusions, I do concur with the findings.

By golly, I do believe that the 'mello' years that I once thought to be a myth have engulfed me. The survey indicates that those in the age bracket 65 and older just got in under the wire; we retired before all the economic 'bad stuff' began happening. We 'dodged the bullet' and made the last train to shuffleboard paradice. It is believed that our pensions were there when we hung-up our rock n' roll shoes. Apparently, the folks coming behind us are not so sure of those awaiting 'mello' years and at best it appears that the train may be delayed at the station.

Back-in-the-day answering that daily work-bell, I could not imagine a time when I would be free of competition, frustration, aggravation, agitation and irritation...now I only face occasional 'constipation.'  The wonderful thing about the 'mello' years is that people gravitate to this senior-white-haired person like a dog to a ham bone. Oldtimers no longer have that intimidating persona but present a softer and kinder nature; a wise statesman like person espousing coveted tidbits! There is one rather significant problem; my kids, grandkids and other younger people perceive me, not as that wonderful fountain of knowledge but as an old-fart who can be a big pain-in-the-rear-know-it-all. That discernment is not 'my' problem; part of retirement bliss is embracing disallowance.

I do reject the notion that seniors are ill-informed or somehow deluded. There is a simple test for that malady; one of any age watching Fox News for legitimate 'news.'

No comments:

Post a Comment