Monday, December 3, 2012

All In Time

With the 43rd Annual Decatur prep boys' basketball tournament responsibilities in 'my' rear view mirror, I felt eager to hit the road last Tuesday for Ozark Country and some 'R & R.' It is a natural to stop in and visit with my mother on this journey and Gerry and I did both going and returning. I suppose those two stops could best be summarized as 'sobbering.' I am not in a state of denial, I realize that Mother Lucille is 93 plus years and in failing health, however I was not fully prepared to observe her recent physical changes.

Mother's once skinny and shapely legs are swollen nearly twice their normal size and the black and blue discoloration is now accompanied by a number of welted blisters nearly circling the legs; heart failure is the diagnosis. She claims that she is not in pain; a circumstance for which we are all grateful.

We are not privileged to tomorrow's 'living-forecast' and that should suggest that we take each day with acknowledged appreciation. My mother, in moments, could be informed of one of her son's death, yet those three sons would be wise to prepare for our Mother's departure from this journey.

It is a bit of a challenge to maintain a constant and meaningful contact with family when 'livig-away'; Gerry and I have a track record on this front that cause us peace of minds! In recent months it has been difficult to enjoy telephone conversations with Mother due to her compromised hearing. My every-other-day telephoning is a futile exercise. I now write letters to Mother in large type but I truly miss her wonderful laugh.

I recall the spring of 1959, when the sociology professor spoke these words in his course entitled: 'The Family,' "The most difficult parent to bury is the second parent; the event signals the termination of the parent-child-relationship." The professor's comment seemed so irrelevant and negligible fifty-three years ago.

Hospice is now part of the daily routine for Mom. I know in my heart that she is ready for eternity's rewards but I shall make plans to visit with her later this week; I just must!

No comments:

Post a Comment