Friday, June 28, 2013

"All I Know is What I Read in the Newspaper"...Will Rogers

Hey, sorry about the disappearance; my outside telephone line- feed to computer was 'hit' by lightning and AT & T is slow to admit errors at their end...anyway, I was about to say...

These retirement years offer more time to read newspapers. I usually read the local Decatur Herald-Review and the USA Today; when traveling on the speaker's circuit, I enjoy whatever local print is available. Reading two newspapers each morning is about a 35-minute and three cups of coffee commitment. I have never read the comic section of the newspaper. I spend the least amount of time reading the celebrity birthday list because with each passing year, I seem to know fewer celebrities. I notice that I read the obituaries more carefully and perhaps I am subconsciously doing the 'math-equations' while reading obits. The sport page always fascinates me but I also find myself becoming more cynical of these pro-athletes who have become more greedy and self-centered. The front page is usually a re-hash of the television news the previous night.

I have developed newer newspaper reading interests over the past 10 years; I enjoy the editorial offerings and the 'Letters-to-Editors.' These writings suggest what people are 'thinking' and I like that notion. The medical advice column allows me to ponder similar symptoms while the personal advice articles replaces the omitted comic-section giving me the laughable diversion.

Some newspapers have those call-in sections where readers can give an opinion and often criticize some thing or some one without signing their name. I find that practice in a class lower than the general 'yellow-journalism' that we understand. It would seem somewhat contradictory for a newspaper to demand its reporters to double check sources, on the one hand and turn around and print anonymous comments. Boggles the mind.

 I am always appalled by back-biters, critics and 'mud-slingers' who hide behind anonymity! Likewise, I am disgusted with folks who desire change or wish to right a wrong but refuse to stand-up 'publicly' for the cause or position. Both aforementioned types are cowards.

No comments:

Post a Comment