Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Is EVERYBODY Happy?

Tommy Harper was a itinerant  preacher who traveled his assigned circuit in the 1940's and 1950's. His itinerant ministry finds it's roots in the John Wesley, United Methodist Church and dates back over two hundred years. Whereas you readers never heard Preacher Harper, you have most likely heard of another circuit-rider style preacher named, Billy Graham. I have heard (in person) both Tommy and Billy speak their respective sermons from the pulpit. Tommy's gig was most often a week-long revival and under the 'tent.' I heard Tommy in person more frequently than the notable Rev. Graham. The two pastors had one common theme in every sermon; they gave an 'alter-call' to the congregation; an opportunity to publicly come forward at the end of the sermon and ask God for forgiveness of sins and His merciful saving grace. I can report, factually, that Billy's alter call was and is concise and straightforward whereas, Tommy would linger on that closing hymn, "Just As I Am,"until the cows came home, and you came FORWARD!

My Methodist Church service has changed from those back-in-the-days! Very seldom does the minister invite people 'forward' To Repent and be Saved. Actually, many church service styles have changed. I would be a fool to suggest that the change is bad or good, I shall leave that determination to those who have the background, wisdom and insight on such matters. I will only acknowledge and speak to that which I observe as different than what I experienced and offer my personal speculation.

A number of years ago, I was discussing with one of my children how my maternal grandmother constantly reminded us of Jesus' redeeming grace and His triumphant return. 'Mammy,' as we affectionately called her often said to me when I was a teen going out on a date, "Moe, you know that our Savior, Jesus Christ is going to return a second time; you would not want to be doing something sinful should He chose tonight to return." My daughter was quick to surmise that my Mammy and the Methodist Church's hell fire and damnation messages were designed to frighten and intimidate and scare-the-hell out of followers. She was correct with that summation.  In our current culture the Preachers wish for attendees to 'feel good' and do whatever if it makes you feel good; I suppose that's why  there is coffee and donuts in the lobby. My Methodist Church (I suspect others) kinda treat parishioners as parents treat children; don't RANKLE; when it's time to pick up toys, take a bath and go to bed ask the child, "Don't you think WE should pick up OUR toys and take a bath for bedtime?"

The Methodist Church, today, and I suspect other churches would not have enough folks in the pews if today's feel good sermons' were replaced by those 'get your crap together or go to hell messages!!'

No comments:

Post a Comment