Thursday, June 6, 2013

Talk to Me

While in my doctor's office waiting room the other day, I noticed a number of patients using the 'automated' machine to sign-in rather than engage the receptionists. That machine has been in the waiting room for at least six-years and I have yet to use it. The workers don't even bother to suggest the process to me any longer; they know better.

Look, I must pump my own gasoline because I wish to drive my auto and no one else will pump the gas. However, I still have a choice on a couple of matters and I intend to hold fast refusing to use automation, which replaces a salaried employee. My local Wal Mart store (during mid-day hours) now has more 'self-service' checkout lanes open than cashier lines. I refuse to hunt for my food in aisles, check myself out and bag my own food...for goodness sakes, I was a grocery delivery boy for three years, which means, I once 'hunted' for others' groceries, boxed the items and got into an automobile, drove to the customer's house and carried the food into their kitchen.

I first noticed this onslaught of impersonal contact-communication with telephone recording devices several years back. It began with answering machine voices giving instructions before you might possibly speak to a person. Just yesterday, I telephoned a number which was given to me to request a filing-form as part of a class-action lawsuit against the government involving a defective roofing product. I gave the following information 'using the touch number pads:' Name, address, telephone number, year of purchase, installing company, color of shingle and a description of deterioration of the product; I never spoke to another human being! I hope I get the filing papers.

I find this kind of modern day interaction leaving me wanting and frustrated. The reality however, is that my grown children seem to make the adjustments and my grandchildren know only these ways. One of the kids ask me a few weeks ago if I would consider 'texting' correspondence with the kids and grandkids. I said, "Absolutely NO!" When pressed on the matter, I explained, "If you wish to interact with me, TALK to me." We seem to be on the same page and I will say, the kids telephone frequently; it is wonderful 'HEARING' their voices. I hope that they will one day share that feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment