Wednesday, June 12, 2013

It's Anchored By Our MUSIC

Yesterday, June 11, was our 53rd wedding anniversary; much of the credit goes to my wife, Gerry. She was the consummate supporter for a husband's career and let me tell you, a 39-year journey coaching high school athletes certainly is problematic for the coach's spouse. Likewise, my wife was a terrific in-law to my parents and family members. She shouldered the bulk of child rearing because coach-daddy was often practicing, scouting or breaking down scouting reports with staff. I have long ago apologized to her and my children for my absenteeism-fatherhood as I gave my time to others' children. Gerry and I became sweethearts when she was but an 8th grader and I was a ninth grader. We total sixty years together!

"...a million to one that's they say about this love of ours; a million to one," sang Jimmy Charles on his 1960 hit recording. Those lyrics resonated back to the year 1953 when the dark-haired petite girl from the large Catholic family became the object-of-affection of the lanky, skinny blond from the more conservative Methodist roots. The little girl was always 'open,' trusting and unabridged. Her  complete opposite would easily withhold trust, turn on a dime and become aloof and distant. All traits survived to this day!

Nevertheless, as much as the 13-year girl and 14-year old boy differed, they held a commonality of laughter and the acquired romanticism of the fifties made it easy, over a seven year courtship to meld similar hopes and dreams. We would take long walks through the park to find moments alone on a bench near the Jones' Park lagoon. We shared endless conversations about family, religion, parenting and personal desires. Movie moments at the St. Louis Fox Theater, French Village Drive In, football dances, horse back riding and Mississippi Admiral excursion boat ventures accentuated and celebrated the passage of our youthful times.

To this very day, I recall it all even her address: 1632 North 43rd Street, telephone number: Upton 4-3282 and 'special things' that only two people know. The Four Lads sang it best, "January to December, we'll have Moments to Remember..."

No comments:

Post a Comment