Thursday, June 13, 2013

Fleeting; Don't Miss Chances

 I suppose it's natural, this time of year, to reflect on one's parents; Mother's Day is fresh in our rear view mirror and this weekend we salute Fathers. Perhaps when parents are no longer with us, our reflections are even more intense. I always had a loving relationship with my parents. That said, they did not necessarily identify with what or who I became once I left the crib. I did not gravitate into the blue-collar East St. Louis Union Tradesman brotherhood and I would not make a living with manual skills. My father, brothers and most men in our families were blue-collar guys; I was not. Don't misunderstand my position. I worked many summers in  the St. Louis and Peoria factories to supplement my teaching/coaching pay but I did not 'make' my primary livelihood-income from that Trades-employment field.. Nevertheless, I always respected and admired those in my family who developed trade-skills.

On my personal note, I had little to say about the direction I would take in life regarding a 'work-profession.' It was because of sport skills in baseball and basketball that caused me to eventually 'get' a college degree and enter the teaching/coaching profession.  I was the first in our family to receive the college degree and that which I became was 'foreign' to my blue-collar family thinking.

 I felt love from my family but I also sensed their suspicious view of this more 'liberal' thinking offspring. My Dad would often say, especially in the presence of his friends or our family, "You still playing games; when are you going to get a real job?" It was his jab-joke at me. I suspect it was difficult for some to imagine 'making-a-living' coaching children playing games. That said,I know deep inside that he and mom held a pride for all three of their sons.

I have absolutely no regrets  regarding my relationships with parents, grandparents and aunts and uncles. I always gave respect and I always showed love and appreciation to family; no lingering 'woulda-coulda' moments for this fella. I constantly remind my grandchildren to seize every relationship opportunity moment and apply mutual respect as they embrace the family love. I am also quick to encourage those grandkids to follow their dreams and work-desires refusing to be manipulated by others.



No comments:

Post a Comment