Sunday, June 30, 2013

As Time Marches On

As many are reading this Sunday, June 30th blog, Mel and Gerry are likely in route to the 64th Annual Roustio Family Reunion held at the Shilo, Illinois Community Park. Even though we have lived away from the metro-east area most of our married life, we have only missed a handful of those yearly celebrations. From 1949 until 1954, I looked forward to the day long eating and game- playing event. In 1955, I began taking my girlfriend, Gerry to the clan get gathering and soon thereafter it seemed as though we were the middle generation family-group holding office positions, making the bulk of food and orchestrating the kids' entertainment; not to mention spending a lot of money buying 'goofy' white elephant gifts in financial support to keep the gig going the next year.

In retrospect, it is interesting to note the changing stages of family reunion-roles. From the time I was the kid who ate and played all day... to the 'cool' teen dating guy... to the hands on parent and finally the member of the 'old-fart' group who must watch their sugar in-take as they constantly ask folks to repeat every damn thing they say.

During these latter adult years, I have always embraced the annual opportunity to pay homage and engage the elder Roustio clans-persons. My grandparents and parents were proud, hard working and God-fearing people. I have always been amazed that the little girl that brought to the reunion back in 1955 and married in 1960, would come to know more names of my 150 family-reunion attendees.

I will miss visiting with many relatives who recently died and I will especially feel an aching heart for my mother who just passed six months ago. If I am asked to 'say' a grace-blessing, I I will do my best to be firm with words as I thank God for  this heritage and those who forged the way.

Today, I will be the third oldest person at the festivities; who would've 'thunk' back in the beginning?

No comments:

Post a Comment