Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Book is Available

This past Monday evening, my wife and I paid our respects attending the wake visitation of a lady whose son I coached on the Assumption high school baseball team (Assumption, Illinois) in 1963. It was my first varsity coaching position at that high school of 225 students, which is now consolidated with Moweaqua, Illinois forming Central A & M. The 91 year old, Barb Cazalet was a delightful person who demonstrated unbelievable faith in the face of losing two sons at young ages; one with muscular dystrophy and a second son with cancer.

While standing in the outer foyer of the funeral home, Tony Woods, another player from that 1963 baseball team walked up to me and opened his mouth wide and then smiled. I quickly said, "One thousand one, one thousand two..." Tony winked and said, "And we picked him off second base." Tony was recalling a 'timing play' we ran over fifty years ago on that Assumption baseball team. Woods, playing shortstop would open his mouth wide as the pitcher stretched. He and the pitcher would then count to one thousand two then the pitcher would whirl and throw behind the base runner to the shortstop breaking for second base.

I tell this story for two reasons: It is both amazing and frightening what people recall over the years. Secondly, those recalls were most often very funny.

I have recently authored my fourth book, which is entitled, "Game Laughter" (The Sunny Side of Sports). In the book, I recall a total of 115 stories. Most of these humorous recollections came from my personal playing days in East St. Louis and Illinois State University but many more from coaching stops at the following Illinois high schools: Assumption, Mason City, Washington, Edwardsville, Jacksonville and Decatur. Also, I was blessed with radio hosting opportunities that opened doors to more sports' humor.

The book cost is $12.00, which covers postage. You may send a check or money order (payable to TEPCA) to Mel Roustio 3991 Greenridge Dr. Decatur, IL. 62526 or telephone Mel Roustio @ (217 358-7574.

No comments:

Post a Comment