Tuesday, November 24, 2015

This Girl Lived That Life

The last season Bill Self was coaching the Fighting Illini basketball team, he was attending the Decatur Turkey Tournament, which was held on the Millikin University campus at the Griswold Center. This particular year, Self was hot on the trail of Shaun Livingston who was playing for Peoria High. I was coordinating the tournament and sitting at press row (Courtside) with Self and my wife (Gerry) during the Saturday night title contest.

The gymnasium was packed and all attending were being entertained by the nip n' tuck game between Peoria and Bartonville Limestone high school. With approximately three minutes remaining in a tied game, my wife, Gerry leaned around Self to tell me she was leaving and she'd see me when I got home. A startled Bill Self looked at me then turned and addressed Gerry, "You're kidding! Surely, you are going to stay and see how this thing (game) turns out?" Calmly and matter-of-factly Gerry spoke to Self, "Bill, I've seen hundreds of these games and I know how it's going to turn out. One coach's wife is going to have a fun relaxing Sunday and another coach's wife is in for a miserable Sunday!"

When Self stopped laughing, he said, "Lady that may be the best line I've ever heard from a coach's wife."


No comments:

Post a Comment