Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Forever My Boys

While attending last weekend's wedding reception of grandson, Caleb Howell and his bride, Morgan, I had the opportunity to visit with several of my former Jacksonville high school 'Crimsons' basketball players (Barry Werries, Tim Howell, Kevin Travis, Andy Ezard) and my former East St. Louis high school and American Legion baseball teammates, Tom McGraw and Dick Pawlow who later coached thirty years at WIU. Speaking of coaching, my longtime assistant from Edwardsville and Jacksonville, Ken Hickman was present as was Caleb's former EIU baseball coach Jim Schmitz.

It never gets old re-visiting Little League (East St. Louis Jaycee League) baseball days and American Legion/high school games. My brother, Tom (four and a half years my junior) and I agree that such stories with family and friends have a definite expiration date.

A conversation I had with Caleb's Eastern Illinois University's former baseball coach, Jim Schmitz perhaps lends insight into a coach's mindset. Coach Schmitz spent twenty some years as the EIU diamond mentor. He was relieved of his duties a few years ago. After a brief time away from the dugout, Coach Schmitz decided he 'wanted' a team again and to accommodate other family employment commitments, he stayed on the University's instructional staff while accepting the head baseball position at nearby Mattoon high school. Coach Schmitz and I talked for a good bit and agreed that it is a powerful two-pronged passion in a coach's heart and mind to teach the game he loves and always have a team of names in his head. I miss both these days but I told my former players in attendance that evening that I loved them and I'm grateful for the trust they gave me. They are forever my boys.

Ps. The 'baseruning-run-down play' should be executed the SAME at the Little League level, the high school level, the collegiate level and yes even the pro level. That said, THE PLAY'S PHILOSOPHY AND TECHNIQUE EXECUTION MUST BE TAUGHT...BY A Coach.


No comments:

Post a Comment