Tuesday, July 16, 2019

And Then Perhaps It's In Their DNA.

My South Barrington daughter and son in-law have seven children ranging ages 30-to-8. The 15-year old sophomore is a outstanding student, varsity cheerleader with excellent tumbling skills. She just finished her classroom driver's education classes. Her mother took her to the DMV Facility to get the teen her 'permit.' Since mom had some time, she decided to take her daughter to a large nearby church parking lot and allow the enthusiastic youngster her first behind-the-wheel practice moment.

As mother switched seats with daughter, she watched the child carefully adjust her seat, telling her mother that she should be approximately ten inches away from the steering wheel. Then the mirrors got the young driver's attention before seat-belt securing. Just before the first time driver started the engine she turned to her mom and said, "Just one question, which one of those pedals down there is the gas and which is the brake?"

As I heard this account, I could not help but wonder if there is something in our family DNA when it comes to operating a motor vehicle. I have two granddaughters who are best buddies. They roomed  together for four years at Illinois State. They are like sisters rather than cousins. At the same age 15, they were visiting their Decatur grandparents when I decided to take the two of them to a nearby high school driver's education marked lot for some practicing. As we pulled into the complex, the three of us noticed a local police squad car parked under a tree. To my surprise granddaughter Loren kept waving at the officer until he waved back (So much for inconspicuous behavior). As I watched Loren go through the behind the wheel check points, I told her to start the car and then explained when she shifted into 'drive and take her foot off the brake the auto will immediately begin to move forward. She did that perfectly. At that point, I told her to gently touch the accelerator. Loren bent forward and reached down with her right hand to 'touch' the accelerator. Today she is in her third year of medical school.

After Loren's turn behind the wheel, Erica moved under the controls. She seemed to get the hang of things rather quickly. Then we approached an intersection of the driving course that would be described as  a 'T.' Straight ahead was a tree-lined embankment with turn offerings both left and right. The soon to be 15-year old honor student looked at me and asked , "Should I turn?" Erica serves a prestigious St. Louis Law Firm as a Human Resource person.

Now, let's consider the DNA factor. My wife and I learned to drive in the 1950's. We learned to drive standard-shifting automobiles. You oldsters called them ''stick-shifts.' In the 1960's, my wife and I bought an automobile and I told her that this newer auto was an 'automatic.' She responded, "Finally, a car I don't have to steer!"

It's a Nana THANG!

No comments:

Post a Comment