Saturday, July 20, 2019

Calling Out Hate

I hear-tell and I recollect...
I've read in books and heard stories that black folks from Africa were once slaves in my country. I've also read reports in history books that blacks were once considered 3/4 human. Later in our nation's history those black people were freed from indentured servitude and permitted rights equal to all countrymen.

However, growing up in my America's Mid-West, I observed and witnessed how those black folks from Africa and other folks of color were treated and viewed by my white brothers and sisters. And it wasn't just folks of color who were looked upon with a wary-eye but those who spoke a different language other than English were also viewed with suspicion.

Know that those white people were good people. Hard working people. Patriotic people. And some seeking a walk with a Savior called Christ. In spite of these aforementioned noble qualities, many of those people embraced attitudes of prejudice towards folks of color, folks with a different language and culture. Ignorance and fear heightened their prejudices. Make no mistake these fears and attitudes of suspicion cuts both ways. (Today, many African-Americans hold those hateful prejudice feelings towards whites, which makes them equally ignorant). That said, white people in the 1940-'50's, ' and even today held/hold the upper hand of civic power.

Today, our President has told people of color to "Go Back Home." He has suggested folks of color are  from "shit-hole Countries." This rhetoric resonates with the fearful ignorant. Why? Because many of these people grew up in environments similar to mine. Black women could come into our white neighborhoods to do domestic work but must leave before sundown. Colored folks must ride in the back of the bus. The black men must stay away from white neighborhoods. The band of Gypsies will steal from you. The Jews will cheat you. The Irish are dirty people. Oh, my Lord do I dare go down the road of religious prejudices stoked by ignorant myths? I heard those slang words for Blacks, Italians, Irish, Polish and  Puerto Rican's.

As a young boy of 16-17, I never could understand how on the one hand so many talked Jesus but ignored His message. Is it personal with me? Damn right it's personal. I coached high school basketball for 37-years in five very passionate basketball communities. Three of those communities saw many Blacks playing significant roles in our program efforts. Understand that yours truly never hid from anything or anybody. My telephone number was always publicly printed. Call me if you wish to talk. There was a number of times I received late night calls and voice would say,  "Roustio, you're a nig^#r lover!" I remember once when a school administrator warned me that I should think twice about hosting players in my home when my wife prepared pre-game meals..."Those people might steal stuff," I was told. Really? Are you kidding me?! "Those people" were my players. Black/White, they were my guys; they were like sons to my wife and I. How dare you slander them and insult me.

As long as this President spews his bigoted hatred, I will speak out. And I will never understand those who believe in the fundamental principles of our democracy and/or those who proclaim Jesus Christ as Lord can remain silent.

The worst thing that can be said to an American of color other than being called a name is to be told, "Go back where you came from," when in fact they are American. Shameful!

No comments:

Post a Comment