Monday, July 29, 2019

Sorry For The Mess, Kids

I remember many men of my father's generation who would espouse the belief simply stated, 'I want my children to have a better life than did I.' When I heard my dad speak those words and this day consider those words, I cannot 'see' that I had such a bad life growing up in the 1940's and 1950's, in fact I had a wonderful youth.

As I now look at the kind of 'life' I shall be leaving to my children, especially 15-grandchildren and three great grandchildren ( to date), I and others of my generation dropped the ball. We failed the two if not all three generations following and I'm sorry and saddened.

My grandkids cannot safely ride their bikes across town in their respective communities. They are required to practice 'active-shooter-drills' in our once safe school classrooms. Holiday shopping at local malls is problematic as is eating out, attending concerts, attending a house of worship or the County Fair and Food Festivals.

Those who follow must hope they can find survival solutions for my generation's indifferent attitude towards our national debt, global warming, gun violence and racial divisiveness.

Instead of making a 'better life' for my grandchildren's' generation, I was part of effort to make 'life easier.' I helped create the now well entrenched attitude that there is instant gratification and solutions. Just push a button, grab a remote or take a pill and all your problems go away. We sold out on our youth in many ways. Childhood obesity is at an all time high and all the Heath problems which follow will cause my grandkids and great-grandkids to be more a more concerned about pharmaceutical costs and health insurance co-payments.

I apologize kids. I truly do.

Ps. I'm also sorry my generation didn't do a better job calling out bad public behavior and manners; especially amongst our clergy and elected leaders.

No comments:

Post a Comment