Monday, July 8, 2019

We Are Family

My wife, Gerry and I are blessed with three adult married children. We have 15- grandchildren and three great-grand children. It would be a gross understatement to say 'we are richly blessed.' I thank the Lord daily and often times frequently for family.

I suppose our family is much like most families. We have a variety of personalities and individuals with various talents and strengths. My wife and I got to know our grandkids extremely well by hosting five consecutive week-long summer Naboo Camps, which had grandkids spending the week at our home engaging in all kinds of activities. They played games, did crafts, held talent shows, went fishing, played miniature golf, did scavenger hunts, held theme-dinners, took in movies and made motorhome trips to nearby camp grounds. Needless to say, the cousins forged terrific bonds during those five summers and it remains strongly evident in their adolescent, teen and adult years.

Both my wife (Nana) and I (Boompa) continue to engage each grandchild on a one-on-one basis. We hold nothing back; our love, our concerns and certainly our advice is forthcoming whether solicited and/or unsolicited.

Sure, I have concerns for all family members. Some concerns are greater than others but I have a confidence that each will live fulfilling lives and answer the charge of our Lord when he asked that we "do for the least of my children."

This past week's family vacation in Miramar Beach, Florida was wonderful fun and truly a memory-maker. I hope all 29-family members can do it again next summer...even the 'oldsters.




No comments:

Post a Comment