Wednesday, January 22, 2020

A Family False Alarm

My wife and I are blessed with three adult children. Steve was born in 1961, Dawn made her debut in 1965 and our youngest, Pamela began her journey in 1968 on January 22nd. Let me take you back to that winter fifty-two years ago.

After benefiting from outstanding Mason City high school basketball talent from 1964-to-1967, I parlayed a three-year coaching record of 62-14 to secure the Washington Community high school basketball position. I've always maintained that the Mason City opportunity was my biggest break in coaching but I digress from my birth story.

Steve had been born in East St. Louis before my first coaching-teaching job in Assumption, Illinois. Dawn was delivered by Mason City physician, Jack Means at Abraham Lincoln Memorial Hospital in Lincoln, Illinois. Doc Means had the complete trust of my wife, Gerry so I was not surprised that she insisted  she keep Doctor Means as her doctor who would see her through and deliver our third child even though we were moving to Washington, which was 50-miles away from Lincoln Hospital. We would ignore the convenience of major Peoria hospitals seven miles from Washington; even with  a sure Mid-winter delivery date.

The 1967-68, Washington basketball season was up and down but the anticipation of our child's birth was cast in stone; we had a game plan. Gerry's mother would be with us before the 'due' date and stay as long as needed to assist the coach's wife. The due date arrived and within a few days, Gerry had contractions. Contraction on a cold winter night with her husband sitting on a coaching bench in  Normal, Illinois some fifty miles from Washington. As soon as the game ended, I called my wife and  she told me, "Get home as soon as you can, I think I'm having contractions." I opted not travel on the team bus back to Washington but have my scorekeeper, Ed Usnik drive me to Washington where I'd get Gerry and head to Lincoln. Meanwhile, Gerry telephoned Doc Means to meet us at Lincoln Hospital.

When Usnik pulled into my driveway, he said, "Get Gerry and I'll keep the car warm." Good hearted Ed wanted to drive us and I was not going to tell him no. We arrived at the hospital and nurses immediately took Gerry to an examining room. Within a short period of time Doctor Means sauntered  into the waiting room to give the Coach an update. The good Doc said, "Coach, Gerry's having false contractions, I'm afraid." In the moment, I couldn't tell who was most disappointed, Doc, Ed or me.
As Doctor Means looked puzzled at Mr Usnik, I quickly introduced the two: "Doctor Means, this is my scorekeeper, Ed Usnik." Means and Usnik shook hands then Means turned to me and said,  "Mel, you're only going to have one baby, you don't need a scorekeeper."

A disappointing night! Long drives on a winter night, a basketball loss and no Baby. Nineteen days later, Bingo...A healthy baby begins her journey. Happy birthday, 'Ditto.'

No comments:

Post a Comment