Thursday, January 23, 2020

We Can All Brighten the Corner

This week,  my youngest daughter, Pam celebrated her 52nd birthday. Next month, her father blows out 81-candles...with help! Her older brother, Steve (58) didn't miss this chance to dig at the old man as he messaged, "Man, your Baby is 52, you're getting old." I messaged back agreeing with him but suggested getting older was better than the alternative, which prompted his next remark, "You don't know that." He's correct...but.......

I was 12-years old sitting in a tent revival meeting and heard the preacher talk about how everybody is born and blessed with 'talents,' which should be used to serve God's people as the Lord commands. At the time I wondered what my talents were and when would I discover them and will I know how to use them. The only other thing I remember about that revival sermon was a song sung that night called, "Brighten The Corner Where You Are."

Well, over time pursuing my sport playing passion and falling short of grandiose ideas of a professional baseball dream, a pattern had been developed and honed along that journey. The career vision unfolded as the teaching/coaching profession became the obvious choice. I was fortunate to be mentored along the way by outstanding individuals who imparted substantive coaching and teaching knowledge along with nuances suggesting service to others beyond the game and classroom.

My life's mission came into clarity as I embraced the notion that there is a need to lift man's spirit, call out goodness and in doing so establish standards of praise and recognition of excellence as it would  motivate those who follow to likewise serve and do good. I'm not naive. Throughout my journey, I have been blessed with many open-door opportunities, which presented me with a stage, a format and leverage to accomplish good outcomes benefiting people.

At age 81, I am still blessed with those opportunities to lift and serve others. May I seize these moments as long as my Lord provides reasons for this journey.
(Touch)
Brighten Your Corner

No comments:

Post a Comment