Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Early Success

A few years ago, one of my younger grandchildren was doing a school project and asked me what was the earliest success I could remember. The answer came immediately...'potty-trained.' I actually recall becoming potty trained because of my mother's training technique. She made a game out of the process.

I recall her offering me a a Coke bottle to 'pee' into when she believed I was likely ready for that bodily function. As I reflect on this I'm inclined to believe it had a positive subliminal impact on the development of my competitive spirit. You know, hitting a target and receiving praise much like making a basket or tracking a hitting a baseball. All these years I've given my Dad credit for encouraging my competitiveness and perhaps it was Mom in the beginning.

Once I began filling that Coke bottle, Mother insisted I use the toilet and I'm glad. You see, she could have opted for a larger bottle, i.e., milk bottle. That could have had a real down side. Understand to this day I cannot bring myself to drink Coke.

No comments:

Post a Comment