Saturday, January 4, 2020

From The Bench

In the early 1950's entertainment personality, Art Linkletter established his long running television hit show, "Kids Say The Darndest Things." That show ran well into the 1970's.

Well, I dare not suggest that quips from coaches could rivalry childrens' verbal spontaneity but let's consider these gems just for fun:

"Last Year we couldn't win at home and we were losing on the road. My failure as a coach was that I couldn't think of anyplace else to play." -Harry Neal's, NHL Coach

"I'm working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can die next Tuesday after lunch everything will be perfect." -Doug Sanders, Pro Golfer

"My knees look like they lost a knife fight with a Midget." -E.J. Holbrook, NFL linebacker who had 12-knee surgeries.

"When they operated on me, I told them to add a Sandy Koufax fastball. They did but unfortunately it was Mrs. Koufax'." -Tommy John NY Yankees pitcher after his arm surgery.

"We were tipping off our plays. Whenever we broke the huddle, three backs were laughing and one back was pale as a ghost." -Houston Oilers player.

"I have discovered in 20-years of moving around the ball,park, the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the tickets." -Bill Veeck, Chicago White Sox, owner

* "I won't know until my barber tells me on Monday." -Knute Rockne, when asked 'why' Norte Dame
had lost a game.

"The only difference between me and General Custer is that I have to watch the film on Sunday."
-Rick Venturi, Northwester football coach.

* My personal favorite.



No comments:

Post a Comment