Wednesday, January 29, 2020

A Tragedy on Many Fronts

"Jesus went unto the mount of Olives. And the scribes and Pharisees brought to him a woman who had committed adultery; and they said to him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what shyest thou? Jesus lifted himself up and said, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast the stone at her."
John Chapter 8

I open with this biblical scripture for my brothers and sisters in Christ but I invite my brothers and sisters who may be non-believers to consider the simple logic advanced in answering the question posed, which obviously speaks to the issue of judging others. I am NOT an authority on scriptures, however I have searched the Bible over looking for the Christ quote that charges his followers to judge one another in His absence and until His second coming.

I offer these opening words on the heels of a recent tragedy that has inspired and promoted the comments of many Americans especially those tethered to sports. I speak of the helicopter crash, which took to lives of former professional basketball great, Kobe Bryant, his 13-year old daughter and seven other young people. A stunned populace is moved to express sorrow in the face of such devastation extols the accomplishments of Kobe Bryant pointing to his glossy basketball career and his humanitarian acts. Balance of opinions always occurs when such events happen and thus we find some voices who quickly point out the 2003 alleged sexual assault of a young woman by Bryant. No criminal charges and no trial resulted but a financial settlement ended the story to the satisfaction of  parties involved.

On a personal note, I have given 19-eulogies at family requests. On each occasion, I remind myself of two things: 1) There are people listening to my words who knew the departed individual better than I, therefore be cautions with liberties and 2) Don't make the deceased lager in death than in life.

Kobe Bryant obviously had many extraordinary skills along with a respected work ethic commitment to his profession. That's a fact. We witnessed such. Beyond that we would speculate on other aspects of his life. Safe to say, Kobe Bryant like me, like you was not perfect. He undoubtedly was not without 'sin,' like me, like you.

My grandmother, Mammy Bennett often told me that if I couldn't say something nice about a person say nothing. Of course, I've failed that 'Christian litmus test time and time again.' There is a beautiful Hymn called, "By Or Love," which holds a line, '...they will know we are Christians by our love, by our love..." I say PERHAPS! Why? Because I know some professed Christians by other traits
(Touch)By Our Love

No comments:

Post a Comment