Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Give It a Try

My wife got a chuckle out of me a few weeks ago after our post-breakfast-bedroom 'game.' At ease; don't jump to conclusions. I bring my wife breakfast (in bed) most every morning; usually coffee, cereal and juice. After finishing eating, we enjoy our second cup of java and read the newspaper. At some point, my wife reads the celebrity birthday names from the newspaper's listing and I guess their ages. We have engage this moning ritual for the past 15 years.

Please take note: This is a fun game but I suggest that you begin playing the game 'now' because notables from our generation tend to die and as we grow older the list of 'unknown' personalities is making the activity problematic.

Back to the morning game a few weeks hence. I was doing well with my age guesses, which means I was within two-years like that carnival guy who also takes a guess of one's weight within three pounds. Anyway, my wife said, "Hall-of-Fame baseball player, Terry Bradshaw?" I said, "I don't know him." My wife began laughing and could not stop. The last time I saw her laugh that hard was during a 1960's episode of 'I Love Lucy,' when Lucy and Ethel were trying to keep pace with the candy-conveyor belt.

 Until this day, she smiles when Bradshaw appears on television and reminds me that I did not know he was a 'hall-of-fame athlete.' I will never tell her that she miss-spoke. Bradshaw was NOT a 'baseball' player but a football hall-of-fame quarterback for the Steelers. Here's the deal: I much prefer my wife's laughter at my expense than her pouting should I correct her statment. Folks, always remember that you sometimes win MORE by losing a little.

Oh, don't have those jeering thoughts about two seniors' bedroom playtime. We once engaged that other bedroom game but we ran out of 'colors.'

No comments:

Post a Comment