Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Some Speeches are More Difficult than Others

I need to gather some notes soon in preparation for the first week in October when my wife and I hit the road on a couple of 'speaking' treks. I book my own engagements, which explains why I am in Southern Illinois two days and then one day later, I am in Southern Wisconsin. I am most mindful that I should be thankful any school district or organization wishes to 'hear' my spoken words. When a fella gets to my age he is happy that he can remember and hold a thought long enough to convey a message and have an audience that thinks he may offer something beneficial. I told my wife on several occasions that the requests to speak offers a mixed bag. It is humbling, ego-inflating and profitable. I often whisper prayers of gratitude for such opportunities.

My wife once inquired what past speaking engagement paid the highest honorarium. I told her that I once spoke at a University basketball coaches clinic and received $500.00 for five minutes. In all fairness, I should reveal that the University was recruiting one of my high school players and I suppose they believed that throwing foolish money at me would help them land the player; it did NOT happen, the player went elsewhere. I did NOT tell my wife that I believe my most profitable spoken words have been those words of 'praise' spoken to her.

While waiting for my wife a few months ago in a hotel lobby, I thought to myself, of all the traveling and hotel staying across this Nation, I have never checked myself into a lodging facility. I always pull the automobile up to the entrance and allow my wife to go inside and check out price, cleanliness, etc. If she is pleased 'going-in,' I know I stand a better chance enjoying the accommodations and time spent.

Before I put the final touches on my speech presentation for the Tri-County Teachers' Institute at Vandalia, Illinois, I must put words together for Bobby Hoffman's eulogy this Thursday. Actually, I will use Tuesday and Wednesday's mid-night hours to write that eulogy. When completed, I will go to the seclusion of my backyard where I will read it several times aloud to myself. I will completely empty my tear ducts and pray to my Lord that I speak in a manner to give 'one of my boys' the honor and dignity he deserves. I could use your prayers, also. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment