Saturday, September 15, 2012

Too Little Time

Mid-morning last Friday, I answered the telephone and was surprised hear the voice of Kristan (Becker) Hoffman. She spoke directly in steadfast tones and with clarity of purpose saying, "Coach, this is Kristan and I am telephoning to share with you about Bobby because I know how much he respected and cared for his Coach." I remain amazed at this young woman's strength, courage and grit-conviction to share a meaningful heartbroken moment.

Her husband, Bobby Hoffman played basketball under my tutelage at Jacksonville high school. He was a significant-contributing member of the 1989, Crimsons' State Tournament Team. Last Tuesday morning, Bobby left for work but returned immediately to the house telling his wife, Kristan that he felt badly and believed he was having a stroke. Unfortunately, Bobby's assessment was correct and in the early morning hours Friday that week, Bobby died at the young age 41.

Bobby was a wonderful son, a loving husband and a devoted Dad. Bobby was a loyal friend to hundreds and respectful of everyone who crossed his journey's path. I would not suggest firsthand knowledge to speak to all aspects and involvements of Bobby's life. I am certain of our coach-player relationship and the extent to which Bobby Hoffman affirmed my own coaching philosophy; to this magnitude he was a blessing to his high school basketball coach. Let me explain. A few athletes have those physical attributes that place them on the road to participation success. Most players, however must develop a trusting relationship with their coach and commit to every program-offered opportunity to hone needed skills to become a contributing player. Bobby embraced his coach's words and dedicated himself to the cause. He epitomized the 'program-player' who would stand ready and able.

Bobby was so committed to this life-style, he became certified to coach and moved into an assistant coach's role in his beloved Crimsons' basketball program. During his brief coaching-tenure, Coach Hoffman was always planning to recognize players and teams of yesteryear while building and developing players and a foundation for the program's future. He shared some specific wishes with Kristan regarding basketball program-projects and Kristan shared those thoughts with me during our telephone visit. I will join others to stand arm-in-arm with Kristan to make these dreams of Bobby's become a reality. Meanwhile, my wife and I will keep Kristan and her daughters in our prayers as she battles health issues of her own and grieves her profound loss. I would ask all who read these words to hold Bobby Hoffman's family in thought and prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment