Friday, September 28, 2012

Some Parents Need The Truth

I was behind an auto yesterday, which sported three bumper stickers; 'My Kid's an Honor Student,' 'I Support Our Troops' and 'Honk If You Love Jesus.' Although, I don't plaster bumper stickers on my auto, I do support our troops even when they are engaged in an illegitimate war and I also love the Lord even though I did not honk. I am not impressed with a kid's grades acclaimed on his parent's automobile.

Over the past several years, I have seen many grandkids participate in youth sports. I am happy that they enjoy the opportunities. There is one reoccurring scenario that makes me sick to my stomach; these kids are receiving too many awards/trophies for doing nothing more than 'showing up.' It causes me to want to puke when I observe these goofy moms and dads all aglow over such bogus smoke blowing praise. If some kids get academic A's then it is okay to give awards to the outstanding sport performer but you need not give all the little turds a trophy anymore than giving all those kids A's.

There are profitable business enterprises that prey on overzealous parents. The years I was teaching and coaching, I had many companies contact players and parents to suggest for a small monetary fee the company would publish your kid's name in an American Publication; 'Who's Who In Illinois basketball, etc. I could not believe the number of parents willing to fall for the gimmick as the result of tunnel focus on their child.

Perhaps parents will one day recognize this over-the-top self-inflating trend as a misguided effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment