Monday, September 17, 2012

Much More Than a Game

As a kid growing up in East St. Louis, Illinois, I developed that strong allegiance to nearby sports teams. Obviously, the shadows of 'old' Sportsman's Park, home of the St. Louis Cardinals and St. Louis Browns would offer the choice. Since it is always easier to hitch-your-wagon to a winner, I became a Cardinals' fanatic. I learned early how to think differently than the manager and I remain today that 'die-hard' second-guessing fan. I find it quite easy to 'coach' the Cardinals from my recliner two-hours from Bush Stadium.

As I readily admit this weakness regarding my beloved 'Redbirds,' let me state unequivocally that I have proudly avoided such second-guessing criticism of any and all other sport teams and their mentors. I understand the foolishness of the second-guess and the comfort-ease from pressure-less decisions one can 'make' for another leader who is in the midst of circumstances and challenges beyond my knowledge.

Please, shall we agree that the 37 high school varsity basketball teams that I coached, not one other individual knew the players' personalities, skills, attitudes and the mesh of team-chemistry as did I. Only a fool would refute that opinion-statement. One may question my strategies but never forget that I was the only person who worked tirelessly in the off-season with players and who scouted every opponent as the season unfolded. I was the head-coach who valued and filtered all input from assistants as part of the daily practice-preparations and game management. It is absolute 'folly' to 'coach the other guy's team.'

With the aforementioned in mind, I question the wisdom of Republican Presidential candidate, Willard Romney when he immediately weighed-in with criticism of President Obama regarding the terrorists attacks on our Libyan embassy, which resulted in the tragic deaths of the ambassador and three other Americans. I do not fault a political candidate who wishes to point out differences in proposed policies, however during attacks upon our people and loss of American life there is a profound need for joint patriotism and National unity, we need this unified posturing in such times; spare us from divisive internal-criticism.

No comments:

Post a Comment