Wednesday, September 26, 2012

I Keep Biting My Tongue

Let me state with absolute certainty that yours truly has exercised the ultimate caution to never say or suggest that anything in days gone by are better than today. The intentional purpose of this posturing is true about my 'coaching' versus those who coach today or parenting today compared to the two previous parenting generations. Trust me when I acknowledge that it is NOT always easy assuming this position.

I am sure that most reading my comments have heard of the Michigan sophomore girl who was voted onto her high school homecoming court as a 'practical joke.' Apparently, the young lady's physical appeal and social profile does not meet the 'in-crowd-cool-status' perceived by her schoolmates. The bogus 'vote' is obviously a form of humiliation-bullying.The fall-out of this secondary school poor behavior display will likely come back to rest at the feet of educators/teachers who fail our children in some manner, i.e. causing their poor grades, low test scores and losing football games. God forbid that I break my self-imposed politically-correct 'don't criticize' and state some crap about the good old days!

I do wish to profile the 1955, guidelines-of-behavior-expectations from (my) parents of that so-called 'greatest generation.' I would simply ask the 'now' parents to compare to current parenting mores.

1. In adult company, speak when someone speaks to you.
2. Shallow hours begin at mid-night; be home by eleven and bring a newspaper.
3. If you believe in the 'second-coming' of Christ, remember HE could return tonight while out with your friends.
4. The teachers are 'always' right; don't make me miss work to come to the school house.
5. A job worth doing is worth doing well.
6. Wear clean underwear, I don't want to be embarrassed at the hospital should you end up there.
7. Don't tell me what 'other' kids get to do compared to you.
8. We eat together as a family and the eating time is met by all family members with rare & good exceptions.
9. The boy will go to the door to pick up his date.
10. Working knowledge of the lawnmower and snow shovel is mandatory.
11. It is a family car and you can have privacy in your room when you make the house payment.
12. You will show respect to others.

Personally, as a parent, I take no blame or credit for my grown children's successes or setbacks. I only take responsibility for their manners; most often they make me proud but not always. I never exercised some escape-option of blaming the school people!





No comments:

Post a Comment