Thursday, February 14, 2013

Ambition and Family Keeps One Busy

Once upon a time, my work and social calendar was filled as I coached, held coaching seminars, traveled the country on speaking engagements, conducted two weekly radio shows and served a school district as an athletics administrator. It was not an overstatement to claim that I could keep several balls in the air at-a-time. Now at age seventy-four, with brain-cells abandoning ship it is fair to say, I can't even find my balls!

This week however, I do find my 'dance card' filled. Monday past, my wife and I traveled to the St. Louis area to stay overnight and position ourselves to drive our SIUE grandson to Barnes Hospital (St. Louis) for 7A.M. test on Tuesday. We returned to Decatur Tuesday evening in time for me to make a presentation that night at the Decatur School Board meeting. Today, we travel to Covington, Indiana to pay final respects to the father of my long-time assistant coach and friend, Ken Hickman. Friday morning, I have a breakfast meeting to discuss a Decatur School District's recommendation to petition the Central State Eight Conference for membership. Friday at noon, I have a luncheon with an architect and a project manager to discuss a baseball park project-proposal that I am awaiting to be approved. After that meeting, my wife and I will get haircuts at 2:30 P.M. and directly thereafter travel to Jacksonville to watch cheerleader-granddaughter, Erica in her high school activities' final 'Senior Recognition Night.'

The next morning (Saturday) twelve members of the extended clan will meet at Lincoln's Museum at noon and adjourn to a Springfield restaurant at 4:15P.M. to celebrate some family birthdays! Some of these folks will follow us back to Decatur and spend the night. I am sure that Sunday will find us at Cracker Barrel for a brunch because our oldest daughter does not have a Cracker Barrel in South Barrington and she freaks-out anytime she drives by the eatery!

Did I tell you that my schedule is so filled that I had to take my sweetheart out for Valentine's last night a day before February 14. Actually, my daughter took US out. When I asked for our dinner-check, I discovered our daughter, Dawn had covered our meal ahead of time. Folks, we obviously share too much information with our kids. Although, they also share too frequently and unfortunately very candidly! Sometimes, our kids are too candid! Let me elaborate. My son telephoned me yesterday and we were taking about the pros and cons of coaching his own sons in high school basketball; those triplet-boys enter that high school level this fall. My son said, "You probably won't be here to see the boys play for me blah, blah.." Crap! When he spoke those words, I was walking on the treadmill and I thought, Why the hell am I doing this!!! I have one approach: I plan to live forever; so far so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment