Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Will Rogers-Cable News Guy?

It was the lovable, wisecracking humorist of the early 1900's, Will Rogers, who often said, "All I know is what I read in the newspaper." If Will Rogers were alive and dependent upon the printed news to deliver his knowledge today, he'd be a a peck of trouble. It is not only the postal service that is used less frequently by the American consumer but also fast-approaching extinction is the printed news-'paper' source. We Americans gather our informational needs via the social-media network found in this amazing 21st century-electronic age. I still read two newspapers every day as I consume a couple cups of coffee; both the coffee and newspaper gets my motor running of a morning.

Please, if you will, consider other social-media impact! The social-media phenomenon has drastically altered our professional medical services. Once upon a time, my folks would telephone the family doctor, provided the telephone 'party-line' was 'open' and tell the doc that their boy was sick. The good doctor would make a house call and check the boy out. Today, I can 'go on line' and give symptoms and the medical person at the other end responds with advise or prescriptions; sometimes both. I still enjoy my doctor 'visits' if for no other reason but to debate our opposing political views and you know that we have them.

My Busey branch bank, two blocks from my house, sent notification that they are closing. The explanation is more people are doing their 'banking/bill paying online.' I must now travel six blocks to a sister branch bank and I will; I have enjoy making the acquaintance of many nice bank employees over the years. I must now cultivate new service folks or go 'online' and become one of the numbers at Busey.

Two weeks ago, I was at the nearby shopping mall and noticed two more shops, which are closing. One shop owner said that their company is doing great business these days but most of the purchases are made via the Internet. Do you remember the movie, 'Christmas Vacation' starring Chevy Chase? Recall that funny scene when Clark Griswald is being waited on by a shapely and sexy lingerie clerk who shows much of her leg while showing the intimate apparel? Sure you do because Clark is 'caught' looking by his son, Rusty.That scene will never happen to another gent if 'online' shopping totally replaces the retail salesperson!

Americans are most fortunate today because the social media jungle has the 24/7 cable news networks, which are much more helpful than the printed news. These cable stations hire 'pundits' who process and interpret all the information called 'news' allowing us not to worry about time-consuming deciphering all that crap on our own!

Today, Will Rogers would say, "All I know is what others tell me."

No comments:

Post a Comment