Monday, February 4, 2013

Expect More & Pay Less (Really?)

Late night this past Friday, I was driving home to Decatur after attending a high school basketball contest in the St. Louis area. A significant blowing snow caused me to pay closer attention to slow moving semi-trucks. As I was passing one such rig, I noticed that it was a 'Target Department Store' semi, which was sporting the huge Red circle 'logo' and the large printed slogan:"Expect More...Pay Less."

I frequently shop at a Target Store that is just a block from my house. I like the store and I find the Target employees most helpful. I cannot concur with their slogan that I can truly expect more goods and it will cost me less. Only a gullible fool would anticipate such deals or services at any store in this 21st century.

In full disclosure to modern day advertisers and promotional experts, I am a product of a generation that once upon a time got 'good deals' and we perhaps did receive more for less. Let me share a scenario to support the point. In 1954, I sat in old Sportsman's Park with my Father as we watched a baseball game between the St. Louis Cardinals and New York Giants. Actually, we watched them play a 'doubleheader;' two games for the price of one game; $8.50 per ticket and our soda was $.15 cents. This past summer of 2012, my son and I watched a single game at Bush Stadium and our tickets cost $99.00 each; no longer does MLB schedule doubleheaders. Did I mention a soda was $7.00.

Speaking of baseball doubleheaders, I also recall the movie industry when it offered those 'double-features.' Usually the first full-length movie was the lesser flick and the second movie was the so-called 'main-attraction.' However, before the movies, we were entertained by a "Looney Tunes" cartoon and an ongoing "Serial."  In 1954, I may have paid a dollar for a movie ticket. You know the rest of today's movie cost-story!!

I will admit that economics is a 'relative' phenomenon. Salaries today are much greater than days of old. We 'earn' more money and things cost more money. However, SERVICE is another matter, please! In 1954, when I drove a car into a gasoline station, two attendants would rush immediately to the vehicle. One attendant would pump gasoline (.21 cents per gallon), clean the windshield and check the oil while the second attendant swept out the interior of the auto and checked tires for proper air pressure.  Just two-days ago, I paid $3.65 per gallon, pumped my own gas, cleaned my own windshield and walked through the cold blowing snow to pay for the self-service  privilege!

All my aforementioned 'gobbledygook' is not intended as a complaint. I wish only to point out that I ain't buyin' any corporate bull-butter-slogan suggesting that, today I can 'expect more for less!!

Last night, I did get more Super Bowl for Less; there was a power outage that caused the game to last 35 minutes longer. In addition, one coach entertained us with 'cry-baby temper-tantrum antics' reminiscence of tennis great John McEnroe.

No comments:

Post a Comment