Friday, February 15, 2013

Lucky and Blessed

Perhaps because of Valentine's Day, I had these thoughts as I fell asleep last night: My wife and I will celebrate 53 years of marriage this coming June 11. If we count celebrated 'Valentine Days' then yesterday marked sixty of those 'Be Mine' card exchanges; that's right we became sweethearts at ages fourteen and thirteen, respectively after being introduced (1953) at the Colony Sweetshop at 40th & Waverly Streets, East St. Louis, Illinois.

Our love story was an unlikely one. Gerry was the youngest of three daughters among six siblings raised in a devout Roman Catholic family. I was the oldest of three boys from a more reserved Methodist clan. When we were dating, I often told Gerry that it was easier being Catholic than Methodist because she had the 'confessional' in the back of her mind whereas I had the voice of my staunch religious maternal grandmother, Mammy in my head saying, "Remember Jesus is returning a second time so best you not be lost in some sinful act should HE COME TONIGHT!"

Sometimes when I have difficulty falling to sleep, I will recite song lyrics as I lay in bed; so much more enjoyable than counting sheep. Last night, I recalled and recited an old Mills Brother's song that goes something like this:

     If I had my way dear forever there be
     a garden of roses for you and for me,
    
     A thousand and one things dear I would do
     just for you only you.

     If I had my way we would never grown old
     and sunshine I'd bring everyday,

     You would reign all alone like a Queen on a throne
     If I had my way.

If I could I would ask Christ two questions should I ever see him face-to-face: Did you hear my many prayers thanking you for my sweetheart? And Why were you so good to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment