Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Coffee With The Boys; Not My Cup Of Tea

Once in awhile, my wife encourages me to hook up with fellas for morning coffee or lunch with 'old' friends. I keep assuring her that whereas she enjoys such gatherings, I have never been big on that kinda social mixer mentality. Don't get me wrong, I like to have conversations with folks and laugh or swap stories; I just don't wish to be routinely committed and predictable beginning each day at the 'coffee shop' with the guys. I suppose a tad bit of maternal grandfather E. V. Bennett's DNA is deep in my soul;   Old E. V. didn't cotton much to such assemblies and neither do I.

Actually, I find more enjoyment spending time recording music for friends, writing notes to kids and grandkids and listening to people with opposing views, i. e., Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh. I always learned more from those I viewed as adversaries than advocates. I recall when Barrack Obama came on the national political scene and Rush Limbaugh made fun of Obama's ears. Of course Rush's attention to Obama's ears got him away from ranting giggles about Senator John Kerry's head size.

Keep in focus that Limbaugh is the 'mouthpiece' for the GOP; the party,which pontificates Christian-Family Values! Every Republican candidate embraces Limbaugh's endorsement and ignores his UN-Christian like comments while they talk about their own love for Jesus and Judea-Christian principles. I cannot imagine Jesus poking fun of another's physical appearance.

Perhaps herein lies my unwillingness to 'coffee' with the boys each morning. You expect that such aforementioned topics would commence at morning coffee gatherings. You all have come to 'know' me well enough that it is understood I cannot keep my opinions to myself. Come now, I am going to 'piss-off' many of the Java-drinking-Joeys with my comments. Those fellas don't need me screwing up the start of each day and if I stay away, I'll continue to imagine that all the old-boys 'think' as I.

Let me tell you another negative aspect to these morning-senior-coffee-gatherings. A few years ago, a buddy of mine went to a local coffee shop with a bunch of 'old cronies.' My friend signed some document being passed around, which he thought was a parachute club application. The fool didn't have his eye glasses and when he got back home his wife asked, "What the hell is this 'prostitute club application form' doing on the kitchen table?"

I must stop now. 'Yodie,' our toy poodle just brought his 'squeaky-duck' to me. I shall leave this typing machine and go play duck-keep-away game with my best friend; beats hell out of any coffee clutch moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment