Friday, February 1, 2013

Sweet'n Sour Moments and Memories

It's a basketball weekend for my wife and I. Once upon a time and for 37-years every weekend was basketball as well as all the days between weekends. Someone asked me recently if after 12-years into retirement from the coaching ranks if I missed it? I miss four things: (1) not having a team to think about, (2) practice preparations and (3) bringing youngsters together from all socio-economic and ethnic walks of life and molding them into a 'sharing' committed unit. I sure don't miss long bus rides on those tin-can 'yellow' school buses, practicing over holidays and explaining to some parent that there son cannot play the game and it's likely due to DNA or a crap attitude commitment.

Tonight we will head to Granite City to watch our son's 'Warrior' squad attempt to make the Alton 'Redbirds' their 11th win. Granite City has long been a basketball coaching grave-yard. Granite has long had success in wrestling, soccer and baseball while most other sports want. Should the Warriors  turn in a winning season this year it will be the first in some time; I dare not ask how long it's been for fear of jinxing.

Granite plays in that tough Southwestern Conference. It is interesting to note the greatest change in Southwestern Conference basketball is that most of the teams are now comprised predominately of 'Black' players. I played for East St. Louis high school from 1954-to-1957 and later coached Edwardsville 1970-to-1977 and I know of that, which I speak. The SWC teams are all quicker and have greater athleticism. I hesitate to suggest the shooting skills are better today...they are not!

On Saturday night, my wife and I will travel to Jacksonville where a 25th reunion of the Crimsons' 1987-88 (26-4) 'Sweet 16-State Team' will be noted. I will enjoy seeing many of my former players. That team was gifted and came together to get the most out of their collective abilities.

There will be a somber note to embrace; the recent death of one of that era's most beloved teammates and a former JHS assistant coach, Bobby Hoffman. It was Bobby, who approached me at a wake-visitation in Jacksonville asking, "Coach, would you help put together a "Reunion Night" this coming season for that '88 State Team?" I can still see his beaming smile and feel his positive energy as he asked the question. It remains difficult to imagine within a few months from our conversation, Bobby would be gone. There has not been a day that my wife and I have failed to lift Bobby's wife, children and his parents up in prayer. I am sure that I shall whisper a prayer during Saturday's ceremony.

Oh, that fourth and greatest thing I miss about coaching is not the games, not the wins and not the championships but the wonderful relationships and team love, which is but a memory today.

No comments:

Post a Comment