Thursday, February 28, 2013

Ok, I Will Give It a Rest; I Promise

...continued from yesterday...Okay, where was I? Oh, I know, I was ranting about all the idiots in the general population, i.e., the American Academy of Pediatrics, who offer ridiculous suggestions about the responsibilities of the public school educators!! As I pointed out yesterday, the pediatricians' organization wishes for schools to not suspend bad-behaving students but calls upon the teachers to maintain classroom-discipline without consequences for bad behavior, teach academics at a level of competency that will meet testing standards and during this joyous (underfunded) journey, teach youngsters 'good manners,' which will qualify as civil behavior!

Across the great State of Illinois, public school districts are held to standards of certification and competency while the State owes these school districts millions of dollars. I have children and grandchildren who teach in public schools from Chicago-to-the Metro-East. Everyone of them and most of their colleagues spend their own monies to subsidize lacking monies for classroom supplies. The State of Illinois squandered two wonderful opportunities to sufficiently fund education dropping the ball through miss-management of toll-way revenues and lottery revenues.

Add to this shameful and disgraceful government the fact that while the Teachers' Retirement Fund has long been one of the most consistent (recipients) of employee contributions they have seen those monies applied to other government projects and now today's teachers must pay a larger percent of salary to the pension fund to support those who are 'in retirement;' won't you follow THAT plan to a logical conclusion!!

Let me offer another take or possibility about our 'civility.' I believe that America has re-defined civility. Rather than give you a definition, I suggest the following: Watch a couple of episodes of the television series, "Cougar Town." Perhaps you will see the episode regarding what name to give a man's penis or as they state, "His Johnson." Perhaps if you view a week's worth of Fox News or MSNBC you can put your mind around our country's 'civil' discourse transformation to our current state of 'haters.' Did you watch the movie industry's Academy Awards; the host, Seth MacFarlane made the following comment, "The only one ever to get into Lincoln's head was John Wilkes Booth." That garbage-statement is not funny and certainly not civil!  Oh, you think that I overstate or exaggerate? If that is your take then some entertainer or comedian will get one helluva belly laugh making light of Pearl Harbour or the 911-Attack; just a matter of a tad bit more erosion of the foundation for Better Values.

Come on teachers...Do your job...and while you attempt beware of the uphill battle because parents and government are not doing their jobs!

When I was teenager, my Father placed parameters on 'civility' as I left the house of an evening. He would simply remind me, "Hey boy, don't let your mouth over-load your ass while on the streets and be home before midnight because you don't want me to come looking for you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment