Monday, July 1, 2013

Slip Sliding Away

The Roustio Family Reunion dynamics have changed drastically over its 64-year history. What began (1949) at Grand Marais State Park (East St. Louis), soon adjourning to Shilo Community Park (near Belleville, IL) and near Scott Air Force Base once held expectations of 150 people attending the annual festivities; yesterday's reunion numbered 44 folks. The up sides were great; plenty of good food and probably more visiting interaction than I have witnessed, at a family reunion, in years.

I was not the elder Roustio off spring in attendance; Mary Lou (Roustio) Arras took home those honors by a couple of birthdates. Of course the pressure was placed upon me to 'do something' to bring out the troops for next year's 65th Clan Gathering! I believe that I can coerce my immediate kin but I am going to need some help and imagination to motivate many others; I shall ponder upon the charge and give it a GO!

I have noticed a reoccurring emotional feeling the last two times that I have made the metro-east trek, which takes me by the assisted living home where my mother passed, the last two houses where my parents lived  and the empty property where Roustio's Steak House once stood so prominently on route 157, Collinsville, Illinois. I also pass the nearby properties of several aunts and uncles as well as cousins who once joined the annual Roustio Family gala. That feeling, which overcomes me? I have a rush of claustrophobic-pressure upon my chest and throat causing a sensation that strongly suggests that I will not 'catch' my next breath. I feel as though I have lost both love ones and much of my personal documented history. There is but a handful of family living who could possibly attest to my totality. My journey and reminiscent stories can be shared with but a few; I am more than ever, isolated in my thoughts.

My response choices are limited. Those choices defined, I choose to push forward embracing the moment given and try my best to make some memories for those who show up June 29, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment