Friday, August 15, 2014

R E S P E C T ?

I try not to use this blog as a personal sob-story exercise. Forgive me today, I must let flow some 'feel-sorry-for-myself' tears.' Lately, people have been stomping on my ego... It began about five weeks ago when my wife and I traveled to the Metro-East area to see our first born great-granddaughter. Surprise...I was told I cannot 'hold' the child because I don't have a whopping cough booster shot.


Let me state a personal position about chemical-injections into my body. I have had my share. I never get a flu shot. I had the flu one time; 1986, when I got my one & only flu shot. I have had all those inoculations along this journey plus a pneumonia shot and shingles shot. The only shot I'm entertaining these days is a cortisone shot in a problematic tendinitis inflamed shoulder. I suppose I will hold my great granddaughter when she is 'out-of-the-woods,' as they say, of course by then, I'll likely be the one vulnerable.


A couple of days ago, my wife and I traveled to Illinois State (Bloomington) and took our granddaughters, Loren and Erica out for dinner; we do this often during the school year. The girls are now sophomore sorority sisters. After dinner, the girls invited their Nana up to see their room. I was told I could not enter the sorority house because I am a male. Therefore, I sat in my auto in the parking lot and deflected doubtful glances from sorority girls coming and going as if I was some suspected pervert.
On the drive home, I asked my wife if she remembered when we were middle school sweethearts and during the summer months, we would attend a nearby open-rec gymnasium where she would 'rebound' basket shot attempts by me. She acknowledged she did recall those days. I then said, "I could have gotten more shots-off if you had been quicker retrieving the basketball." She responded, "You could have gotten more shots off had you hit the basket more frequently requiring me to run less after your missed shots."

No comments:

Post a Comment