Thursday, August 14, 2014

Who's In Who's Out ?





Growing up in the very diverse East St. Louis, I was exposed to a lot of different ideas, thinking, opinions and beliefs. One rather strong influence was religion; my own Methodist faith and the many other religions. The Roman Catholic Church held a strong presence in that river city and was special in my growing up years. Let me explain. Aside from the fact that my father's people were mostly Catholic, the CYO (Catholic Youth Organization) offered some special sports' programs from which I benefited. Each of the some 10 Parishes were allowed to have one 'outsider' on its grade school basketball team; I was the designated 'outsider' for a couple of years at St. Martin School. I honed my basketball skills in the CYO leagues.


Interestingly, one summer, my Catholic boyhood friend and I attended a open gym play day at the newly completed Assumption Catholic High School. We had not been on the court but a brief period of time when a Priest called my friend aside and told him to tell me that I HAD TO LEAVE because only Catholic boys could be in the gym. As I left the gym that morning, I thought, 'what bullshit !' I was good enough to score a shit load of points a few years earlier for St. Martin's to compete for the CYO title; suddenly my Methodism was showing.


I am not dishing on the Catholic Church, God only knows that people of all faiths need to look within!! I'm just saying,  we need to be careful 'deeming' others as 'outsiders.' 'Outside' of what ?


Jesus angered the nation of Israel when He said His kingdom was for ALL. The Jews felt they were the only people headed for 'Glory.' Jesus' 'inclusive' preaching is simply missed by most folks who call themselves CHRISTIANS...and so it goes, we have THOSE outsiders!

No comments:

Post a Comment