Friday, August 1, 2014

There Are No Excuses; Should Never Happen

I got my driver's license in 1955; we had fender skirts, big whitewall tires but no air-conditioning. Many of the autos that I drove back-in-the-day were 'stick-shift' with no turn signals thus requiring me to stick my left arm out the driver's side window to signal a left or right turn. My right arm was freed up to stick in front of our young child who was standing in the front seat at any time I slammed on my brakes.


Okay, this explains why I had difficulty relating to the fella yesterday on the radio who was telling listeners that during 'hot' weather parents should place a 'teddy bear' in the front seat of the auto to remind them that  there is a kid in the back seat!  The radio messenger thought this technique would reduce the number of times parents leave children strapped in a auto inferno. I believe the reason young parents keep forgetting that they have 'kids' is because the off spring went from womb to room. Most young children today are being raised by day-care workers, pre-school teachers, public school teachers and after school program providers.


Perhaps requiring parents to know 12 nursery rhymes before getting a drivers' license would be a starting point. Then maybe instead of those ding-ding bells that sound when you open the car door...a voice could come on automatically: "Hey turd blossom, don't leave the KID !"

No comments:

Post a Comment