Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Virginia Slims

In 1988, Virginia Slims menthol cigarettes debuted marketing the professional women as the company parlayed the phrase, "You've come a long way baby." That slogan came to mind yesterday morning.
I returned from my morning 45-minute walk and sat-a-spell with my wife to enjoy a cup of coffee. She was watching a popular morning television program and some women were discussing 'sex'. The four ladies came to an agreement that 'after about seven years of marriage, the missionary style (sex act) becomes boring.' In a million years, I would have never believed I'd hear such a conversation on American airways.
I recall my parents concern that should they take me to the drive in theater to 'see' Gone With The Wind,' I would hear Rhett Butler say, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!" Several years later, I remember the 1952, I Love Lucy episode when Lucy could not say the word 'pregnant' on television; she told Ricky, "We're having a baby." Lucille Ball's pregnancy was an issue and the television censors decided her belly could not be shown.
Like Virginia Slims..."You've come a long way baby."
 Personally, considering ALL things, I always found algebra boring; in any 'position.'

No comments:

Post a Comment