Thursday, September 18, 2014

See The Love

Many, if not most, Christians fall distinctly on the side of 'anti' on many social issues. Perhaps, in fairness to those folks, I should say that the issues are often perceived as 'moral' questions. Examples: Most Christians would be anti-abortion and anti gay but interestingly not anti-capital punishment.


I believe myself to be a Christian...yes, I am a born-again Christian and yet I refuse to judge the mother who aborts or the sexual orientation of people. (I don't think I have the 'right' to judge those folks with those beliefs or persuasions). Many who claim Christianity would say that I am not a true Christian but I will ignore that judgment and await my God's opinion regarding my soul..
I do find myself big on tolerance.


Last Friday afternoon, my wife asked me to pause for a moment and watch a first grade boy's reaction to his parents announcement that they were going have a baby. Perhaps many blog readers saw that YouTube video. Well, the boy and his mother were guests on Ellen Degeneres' television show. After Ellen's interview of the delightful lad, she said she had a gift for the boy. When the curtain opened, the wife's husband and boy's father appeared for a surprise reunion...the father was on leave from military duty in Afghanistan. Needless to add there was not a dry eye in the audience. My immediate thought?...what a warm expression of our Lord's commandment 'to love one another as I have loved you and do for the least of my people.'
I understand that Ellen is gay however, I have no idea if Ellen is a person of faith. I do know her actions often represent God's love. I suggest that if one must judge...could one factor in the love of which Christ spoke??

No comments:

Post a Comment