Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Advice That Still Floats

I grew up subjected to the 'KISS' philosophy. (Keep It Simple Stupid) That's right, my adult family members gave simple and direct advice. Nothing was left to interpretation and for damn sure nothing was left for negotiation.
My maternal grandmother, Mammy Bennett always reminded me, during those teen years; "Jesus is coming a second time, so don't be doing anything shameful should HE come back tonight." That kept the lid on some potential crazy-ass behavior.
My mother was always reminding me; "You must respect a girl you date." "If you don't respect the girl you disrespect yourself, your family and our God." My father was even more practical with his reminder; "Hey boy, when you're out on the streets tonight don't let your mouth overload your ass and BE HOME BEFORE midnight!"

No comments:

Post a Comment