Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Causes a Double-Take

The older I get the more some things don't 'look' right and some things don't 'sound' right. Let me explain.
 Recently, while attending a high school baseball game, I noticed a player come from the field of play and go directly to his utility bag. He withdrew his cell phone to check text messages and obviously text a message himself; during the game! He then got his bat and awaited is turn to bat. Holy crap, I nearly got sick at my stomach watching this self-absorbed behavior.

I watched a little league baseball player hit a double. When he arrived at second base, he screamed at his mother, who was sitting in the stands and told her, "Get me a hot dog and soda." She had the dog & soda waiting at the dugout gate. My dad would have jerked my ass off the diamond had I done that.

The wussy sport mentality is even found in the big leagues. Today, we have 'middle relief pitchers,'  'set-up pitchers' and 'closers.' Heavens, I remember guys like Gibson, Newcombe, Feller and Koufax who believed they were to finish what they started.
Today, we hear all kinds of chatter about sport-concussions. Please! It's like smoking. If you're going to smoke you don't get to sue tobacco companies. If you fear your child is going to get hurt playing sport then don't let him play.

No comments:

Post a Comment