Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Hello, Anyone Here

In late April, I had two procedures performed by a gastroenterologist. You guessed it; colonoscopy and endoscopy. The doctor assured me in advanced different scopes would be used. I counted three people in the procedure room: the doctor, a nurse and the anesthesiologist. The anesthesiologist was very comforting as she talked to me during the procedure. The twilight state allowed me some communication with the doctor. I recall him telling me that he identified the problem and even offered the opinion that medication would solve the issue.

I share this experience with readers because I understand the medical industry is at the threshold of having a digital computer take the place of the anesthesiologist. It appears that medical profession is mimicking the auto industry assembly line methods; you know, the folks who make ignition switches for Chevy, accelerators for Toyota and airbags for Chrysler.

The day is coming when a patient may have a heart transplant and never talk to anyone. Well, you may have to speak to somebody in the Philippines or India.

No comments:

Post a Comment