Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Vanished

We have lived in Decatur, Illinois for seventeen years. Our home is on the North side near Interstate 72 and the Hickory Point Mall; we like our location, which offers a poletha of eateries and various department stores. Our backyard is adjacent to the playground area of Our Lady of Lordes Catholic grade school. I see children frequently playing in that area supervised by lay teachers and parents. I have never seen a Nun or Brother on the grounds. I don't think there are many Nuns and teaching Brothers in the Catholic Church as once was the case.

There are other things that I don't see on the horizon any longer. I don't see alleys between the back of neighborhood homes these days. I don't hear kids playing those street games like hide 'n seek. Nobody plays those family backyard games, I.e. Horseshoes, badminton and / or croquet. I must go to the store for fresh milk. I remember when it was delivered to our home daily. The non-leaf burning law robs me of the complete ambience of fall. Gee, I cannot recall the last time a pushcart vendor came down my street 'hawking' hot tamales.

I've got a 'hanering' for some old fashioned homemade ice cream; wonder if I can find another neighborhood fella to take turns on the crank?

No comments:

Post a Comment