Friday, May 1, 2015

They Want a Check Not a Job

I surmise that my Dad's generation was 'King-of-Oneliner' directives. Here are just a few of Dad's obligation reminders: " Yours is not to reason why, yours is but to do or die." "Don't let your mouth overload your ass." "If a job's worth doing it's worth doing well."

As a consumer, I seem to note many folks who have jobs but don't particularly do them well. One incident caught my attention recently as I waited in a Walmart checkout line. There was an obvious workers' shift change for the cashiers. As the replacement chasier placed her ID code number into the register the chasier leaving the post immediately walked a couple feet away from the work station when a passing customer asked her for directions to a product. The employee matter-of-factly said, "Sorry, I can't help you, I'm on break."...as she began texting on her cell phone.

Not a isolated circumstance but a growing consumer irritation is the gasoline pump that does not dispense a receipt. This happens to me frequently. The no show receipt is followed by the crawling note that I can 'go the the cashier to fetch my receipt.' What the hell, why not; I pumped my own gas. I always ask the cashier: "Why no receipt dispensed at pump?" I get the following: "Oh, we're having problems with the printer." I say bull-butter. Take it to the bank that lazy workers don't do their jobs and fill the printer with paper rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment