Monday, January 4, 2016

Brighten Your Corner

Last year's headlines of terrorism, gun violence and political ugliness linger in my mind like a bad nightmare. My precious America has lost so much pure innocence. We not only lock our doors these days, we sit uneasy in theaters, sports' arenas and restaraunts for fear of bombs and guns.

If you readers are like me you feel paralyzed with helplessness and yet you wish so badly to do something. Perhaps just perhaps there is something we can do. It is said that charity begins at home. Maybe our 'headlines' begin at home. Today, I am going to challenge myself. I am going to embrace an attitude that creates a brighter light. I may not be in a position that would lend itself to changing the worldwide events or even the events within my country. I am however able to cause different engaging  feelings withwho I come in contact this day.

Today, I can have a ready smile for people I meet. I can offer a kind word or brief conversation with folks. I can quicken my step to open a door for someone. I can yield to the other auto at the intersection or visit a neighbor down my street. This week, I can make a point to telephone a relative or old friend that I have not spoken to in some time. This month, I can spend time going through some closets and identifying some clothing that no longer fits this body and take the items to the Salvation Army.

My small changes attempting to brighten the nearby will not impact the world but if others would join the mission...well you understand.

*"Do not wait until some deed of greatness you may do,
Do not wait to shed your light afar;

To the many duties ever near you now be true
Brighten the corner where you are."


* verse from song, "Brighten the Corner."

No comments:

Post a Comment