Thursday, January 14, 2016

I Wish to Support Peacemakers...Help Me.

The young rather dynamic preacher fella at the Wednesday morning Grace Lutheran Church Bible Study told the group of eighty-plus Florida snowbirds that he wanted the group to write down something of which we are conflicted. I suppose he meant a perplexing matter in our life. Immediately, I penciled in my personal notebook, "I need the Lord to grant me tolerance for those who are intolerant."

The pastor then told us to open our Bibles to Matthew Chapter 5. For the next hour, we were to examine the possible interpretation of what Jesus meant when he delivered that message in the Sermon on the Mount. I always understood the Beatitudes to be a description of the perfect disciple and his rewards now and in the hereafter. However, I'm thinking with this 'homework' element of writing down that which conflicts me, perhaps I'm going to eliminate my 'conflict issue.'

I've been a fan of the Beatitudes, especially #9, 'Peacemakers.' We American Christians are always throwing around the word 'peace.' We give a 'peace sign' to our brothers/sister at church. We have a symbolic hand gesture 'peace sign.' At Christmas we are wishing one another 'Peace on Earth and Good Will Toward Men.' Seemingly, we talk the 'peace' but we fail to 'walk the peace.'

The pastor read each of the ten beatitudes and said he was going to focus on number nine, which reads: "Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called sons of God."

Okay, if I wish to become more tolerant of the intolerant and I examine the Field of Presidential candidates, which ones do I think spew the most intolerant rhetoric that flies in the face of being a 'peacemaker' whom we would call sons/daughters of God?

You tell me! Who are not peacemakers? Why are they not peacemakers? I wish to believe a Bible study of the Beatitudes will be appliccable to current issues. I would sincerely appreciate your 'take.'

No comments:

Post a Comment