Saturday, January 9, 2016

I'm Sorry and I Apologize

We hear politicians suggest that they do not wish to be part of 'leaving' negatives for the next generation. Those political folks use that line talking about the national debt, climate changes, military weakness, etc. The cry becomes " Our grandchildren are going to inherit bad and sad situations caused by the other apolitical party."

Personally, I feel compelled to apologize to my grandkids NOW!

Dear Grandchildren:
I am sorry that you must look over your shoulders when out in public because you have been told to stay alert for suspicious looking people who may be terrorists. (As a kid, I never gave it a thought). I am sorry that your schools must conduct 'active-shooter-raids.' When I was attending schools, we had fire drills. Speaking of our schools, much has been made of the fact that prayer is not allowed in public schools. The last time I looked Americans were 'free' to attend church weekly. During my junior year of high school fifty percent of Americans attended church weekly...today less than twenty percent attend church weekly. It seems it was not schools that took God from you but your adult family members.

I don't know how it happened that this country would become so disrespectful to authority. Police officers  while sitting in patrol cars are shot by haters. And on the flip side, you are conflicted by unimaginable police behavior when those officers apprehend some citizens.

Growing up, your grandfather never believed that our society would be free of racial and religious intolerance and prejudice, however I could not imagine the extent to which that hateful prejudice and intolerance has escalated. Innocent churchgoers are shot to death at mid-week prayer meetings and Bible studies. Pastors are shot to death delivering Sunday morning messages.
I am so very sorry that today's politicians engage in public language vulgarity, hate messages directed towards minorities / religions and I am sad to see sports stars today show such blatant greed. I had far better role models during my youth.
I cannot begin to recall the many sporting events, concerts and public events I attended over my lifetime and never being personally examined for a weapon. It saddens me to know that such a procedure is part of your daily life.

I feel guilty on two fronts. First, I enjoyed such a wonderful carefree youth with little worry about safety. Secondly, if there is blame for the sad conditions you encounter, my generation must shoulder that blame. I prayer that you will find it in your heart to forgive us and I also pray to God that with His Devine help your generation can clean up the mess for your grandchildren.


No comments:

Post a Comment