Monday, October 29, 2018

I Wish For You The Same

It was a wonderful weekend and welcomed diversion offering a hopeful future in the midst of unexplained and demoralizing current events. This past weekend, my wife and I returned to the Jacksonville community where we once lived for twenty-one years while I coached and served as an athletic administrator and teacher. The weekend's main event was the celebrated marriage of grandson, Caleb Howell and Morgan Fernandes. From the Friday evening wedding rehearsal and dinner to the Saturday mid-afternoon service and the last reception dance the warm 'love-in-the-air' extravaganza was spiritually nourishing, socially uplifting and family anchoring. I am blessed.

As I stood amongst 29-immediate family members for a post-wedding photo opportunity, I could not have felt a greater humbleness and gratefulness. The newly weds will return this day to St. Louis and continue personal career pursuits while building their dreams. Many other older grandchildren will do likewise. The remaining grandkids amongst the fifteen will start a fresh week of elementary, high school and collegiate demands. Three great grandchildren will remain under intense scrutiny while deepening life's longing for itself. Our adult children with spouses will continue to balance career-work demands, support children's needs while attempting to secure retirement years.

Every person will draw on personal hopes as we continue our respective journeys in the face of a nation in ugly turmoil. As we manage our lives, we will attempt to make sense of our elected officials' behaviors and our nation's moral claims.

As this old man tries to make sense of it all, I will pause frequently to recall the words of the late baseball broadcaster, Jack Buck who when facing his journey's end said, "Should I be fortunate enough to meet my 'Maker,' I will ask one question: WHY WERE YOU SO GOOD TO ME?"




No comments:

Post a Comment